
For our first official Daisy Scout field trip we went to a local girl scout event at a nature center.

Almost all of the girls were able to come, and they all had a great time. One little girl ended up stepping on a nail the day before the event, so she wasn't up to hiking through a nature center!

We arrived a little early so after checking in we had plenty of time for some group shots around the area.

This was an Earth Day Celebration so the girls visited 10 different stations, each station dealing with a different Earth Day type of activity. The first station wasn't quite ready for the girls so they got to kill time with bubbles - always a hit.

At this station the girls learned all about birds from around the area. Elizabeth is being one of the types of birds, showing how they eat.

They also used binoculars to search for some birds. They saw a bright red cardinal up close!

We had a pretty far hike between each of the activities.

This was the only male volunteer, he was great! He joked around with the girls and made his information about the food chain very interesting.

So serious working on her food chain puzzle.

This station was probably the most interesting for the girls, there were live insects involved!

These are all bugs found in the local pond
on site. This bug was (I think) in the beginning stages in the life cycle of a dragonfly. (maybe Sharon could correct me if I am wrong!)


Last the girls got to learn about square foot gardening and then planted a bean in a baggie to take home and transfer to a garden area. We were very interested in this station since we started our very own vegetable garden at home!
It was a long event, almost 6 hours, and all of the girls did so well. We were very proud of them for lasting so long!
5 comments:
Confession: I'm really looking forward to being a troop leader one day.
Ohh how fun! Looks like a great day of learning for the girls.
I love it, Sharon! I'm not surprised, though, you'd teach them so many fantastic things!
Uh, love E's pose with the binoculars! Looks like a fun day... so nice to be out in nature and active. I bet the girls loved it!
THat looks so fun! I'd love to hear about your garden. We want to plant one but we have a whole bunny family living here. We saw 4 in our backyard at one time yesterday!
Post a Comment