Saturday, June 2, 2012

Poor Jake and a Birthday Party

 Our poor Jake!  About a month ago we noticed him shaking his head quite a bit and when I looked him over everything looked fine.  Then I noticed one of his ears was hanging lower than the other.  When I felt his ear he had a huge "pillow" under the skin.  I guess this happens, especially when dogs get older and they are big, strong dogs like Jake and have little ears.  They shake their head and cause a hematoma to occur under the skin of the ear forming a big, painful pillow of blood to form.  So, he had to have surgery to remove the hematoma.  The thing took forever to heal, since it's basically a huge pocket of blood.  They have to leave it open a little to weep, so he had the cone on his head for about 3 weeks.  We all had quite a few bruises on our legs and missing paint on the walls from the cone.  Finally it was all healed.  Unfortunately last week I heard him shake his head again and I just knew that wasn't a good sign!  Sure enough he had one on his other ear!!  He had surgery again yesterday and now looks exactly like the above picture again.  We're hoping - for his sake and ours - that these will be permanent fixes! 
 Ben had a really fun birthday at a horse ranch a few weeks ago!  One of the boys in his preschool class invited him and all the kids had a blast feeding and riding the horses.  Here are a few pictures from the day.  












Ben rode the horses at least 5 times, he loved it!  It was such a fun, unusual birthday party, I'm so glad we were able to go!

2 comments:

Allison said...

That party does look fun!! I don't know about Jake's ears though. Yikes! Maybe you can get them fixed "doberman style" and not mess with them anymore. ;) Sounds miserable for all.

Sue said...

That looks like so much fun. I am so glad he enjoyed it and doesn't have your allergy to horses.