Sunday, January 11, 2009

I did what???



I don't know how many of you know this but I am a little obsessed with reading other blogs. I have the ones I like to read, and I read them practically every day. There is one where they are always talking about canning - making apple butter, apple pie filling, etc... So I thought, I'm going to try that! So I got a whole bunch of apples. Now the people on the blog can apples because they live where they can pick their own apples and come home with bushels of them. Here in TX we have to go to the grocery store and just buy a whole bunch. Not quite the same as going to the orchard, but I guess it will have to do. (plus it kind of ruins the economic benefits of making your own apple foods - but oh well...it was worth a try)


Next I had to sterilize the jars (which by the way called for a rack at the bottom of the pot- where do you get a round rack - or a small enough square rack - to fit in the bottom of a pot?? ) So, I boiled it all for a long time...
then had to cut, core, and peel the apples, make a syrup, and pack them all in the jars. Then you have to boil the jars again! This time for 30 min (to seal the jars) So after a few hours of work - here is the result. 7 jars of apple pie filling. They did end up tasting pretty good, but I don't know if I'll do it again any time soon.
I still can't believe I canned something. What a dork :)

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I for one am very impressed! Will everyone be over for pie soon? :)
After all that work, you don't want to open them do you?!?!?!
~meg

TLEB said...

I know! I'll have to put those jars on display somewhere :)

Allison said...

Oh my! That is awesome. I, for one, would love to benefit from your canning. :) I have very fond memories of canned plums (had a friend with a mom who canned A LOT - she also did a true "spring cleaning" with six kids so you know her type) and I only tasted them one time but I have thought of them ever since. Just yesterday when feeding Emily prunes, in fact! I wonder if I would like them today?
Can some and I will find out!! LOL
~Allison

Anonymous said...

Well, well, well....you really are a country girl at heart, aren't you? I think my Nanny used to do that!! :-)



Valerie

Anonymous said...

I am impressed. You sure didn't get that from me - just the part about reading lots of blogs!! :-)

The Martys said...

See I told you that you are Martha Stewart. Canning???
What will you think of next. I want the name of some of these blogs to add to my ever growing list that I read every day. (wow, that was a long sentence) Love reading yours to see what you have been up to. I guess I should learn how to can since I live here in the north and have lots of things that I could can. Looks like way to much work for my blood.

Keep up trying new things, maybe one day I will try one of your ideas!!!

Lots of love-
Amy

jessica said...

I was able to benefit from a can of her apples and let me tell you, they are TASTY! I had them on pancakes and then on ice cream! Yummy yummy! I will never ever can anything ( I don't think at least :)) so I hope you continue to can things and let me benefit from it! Thanks!!
Jessica

chrissy said...

You are so funny! I wonder what you'll come up with next....

Joanne said...

Look at you Martha Stewart! Very impressive. I think it's great how you see something and you just try it. Very cool!