Monday, October 22, 2012

Ben's Kindergarten Program

 We were so excited to get to go to Ben's Kindergarten program - it was all about nursery rhymes.  The songs they sang were so adorable!  They were so funny and interesting, not the normal nursery rhyme songs.  All the kids were asked to dress as a nursery rhyme character so Ben dressed as a king - Old King Cole.  I didn't let him bring a pipe though! :)Ben is in the top row with the red hat, right in the middle.  I'm surprised he made it to the top row, I didn't think he was that tall!
 The entire kindergarten.  You can't really see it but on the right was a boy dressed as a big spoon, it was so cute!

 Here's our group of Ben's admirers.  Aunt Nancy, Grandpa H, Ben, Grandma H, Tom, Me, Elizabeth and Grandpa B.  Grandma B had a bible study that she had missed many weeks in a row so she wasn't able to make it. 

                           I wanted to get a picture of our king but he wasn't cooperating very well,
                                        and then he had to just go crazy on the empty stage!
                               Finally got him to stop and take a picture - too bad he has crazy eyes!!
 I wanted a picture of the kids together and they just started hugging!  By the time I got my camera out Ben decided to pick up his feet so he made his sister carry him.  Such goofs.
 On Saturday Ben had his last Tae Kwon Do class for the session.  We did sign him up for the next session, but I finally brought my camera to document these new classes. 
                                                              First up, stretching

                                                                          Balancing

                                                                         Pushups

                                                               Practicing his punching
 After all the warming up and practicing all the moves the kids had some sparring.  This is where mommy got emotional.  I really dislike all fighting.  I can't stand to watch any fights, boxing, etc... We signed Ben up for TKD to get him more focus and to try something new.  I also didn't mind him being able to defend himself, and we'd really like to have Elizabeth take the classes for the same reason, but she has no interest.  Sparring is part of it, but I really didn't like it.  I may have shed some tears when it was all over (not where Ben could see me).  Ben was pretty nervous but he did a great job.  Half of the kids in class are brand new, and half have been there for years.  Unfortunately the numbers weren't even and since Ben was the biggest of the new kids he got paired up with a boy who had done TKD for years.  The instructor told him to be easy on Ben since this was his first time, and he was.  Ben did a great job.  He did his best and landed some hits.  I can't believe it am even talking about my son hitting!  I'm obviously having some problems with this.  :)
                                   Here's Ben showing the instructor his punch with the gloves on. 
                                                        On to bowing and showing respect.


                                                                        The fight! 
                                               I don't think this will get any easier for me!

5 comments:

Allison said...

First, I love the idea of "gettin' down with Mama Goose!" Also, I think the spoon is great and so are the crazy eyes! Lastly, fighting. Boo. I don't think I would love that but I hear great things about kids in TKD so I am sure it will all work out.

Sue said...

I am so sorry I missed Ben's program:-(
AND I'm with you on the fighting. I won't ever want to come and watch him to do that!

The Martys said...

I love that the kids can dress up for their program. What a fun idea. I have been thinking of putting Evan in TKD but the fighting scares me the most. Pretty unsure at this time.

The Martys said...

I love that the kids can dress up for their program. What a fun idea. I have been thinking of putting Evan in TKD but the fighting scares me the most. Pretty unsure at this time.

jessica said...

Oh no oh no oh no! I don't like that fighting either, but I have a feeling I'll be doing that soon! And program, WHAT program???? Boo that I missed that! It looked adorable!